I, LALCHHANDAMA LAILUNG (Core Faculty IT), headed a one day visit to Chamring, an adopted village of SIRD&PR Mizoram on 11th October, 2017. The team consists of four members including me, Mr. H. Rosangpuia (Faculty-PA SPRC), Mr. K. Lalhmachhuana (Training Assistant DPRC) and Mr. P.C. Lalremruata (Driver)
11th October, 2017:
10:00 – 11:00 AM:
The team reached Chamring Village at 10:00 AM and was received by the Working Group of Chamring Village. The Working Group consists of 3 Village Council Members, 1 Village Council Secretary, 2 ex-VCPs of the village, 2 prominent citizens, 1 Primary school headmaster and 1 Anganwadi Worker with a total of 10 members. We had a meeting with the Working Group at the house of the Village Council President. We started off the meeting with a round of self-introduction amongst ourselves. A brief minute of this meeting is as below:-
- The Village Council Secretary presented the Village Development Plan than the Working Group has prepared. In this plan, there were 12 action items which were very apt for the village. However, the plan lacks information like Source of fund, Cost and Implementing Agency. SIRD&PR team advised the Working Group on the need for key information such as the ones mentioned above, in order to maximize the success probability of their plan. The Working Group decided to take immediate action on it and impose responsibilities among themselves to acquire such information as soon as possible.
- The Headmaster of the Primary School presented a brief report about the school. He also stated the various hardships that the school is facing. The Working Group decided to add the request of the Headmaster to the Action Plan.
- The Anganwadi Worker also presented a brief report on the status of the Anganwadi Center. She also presented a few request to the Working Group, which was then added to the Action Plan in the VDP.
11:00 – 02:00 PM:
Gram Sabha was conducted in the village community hall. It was attended by 53 people (31 male & 22 female). This constitutes 75.71% of the total adult citizen of the village. The Gram Sabha was chaired by the Village Council President. In this Gram Sabha, SIRD&PR team addressed the gathering and provided short speech on Cleanliness, importance of Gram Sabha & Participatory Planning. Then we had a short release function of 2 banners related to village development and cleanliness which was prepared by SIRD&PR. This was followed by “Swachhta Hi Seva” pledge. After the pledge the Village Council Members presented the Village Development Plan to the Gram Sabha. There was a very good round of discussion in each of the action items and the people’s participation was astonishingly good that we could hardly close the Gram Sabha by 2:15PM. All action items in the VDP was approved by the Gram Sabha.
02:00 – 03:00 PM:
The team visited the Primary and Middle School of the village. A short speech on cleanliness was delivered. The students were divided into 2 groups and were made to compete on cleaning the school campus for 15 minutes. All the students were very sincere and not one of them could be found idle during the course of the competition. After that SIRD&PR team distributed soft drinks, crayon colour sets and pens to all the students. The Headmaster gave a short concluding speech and the students were dismissed.
03:00 – 04:00 PM:
The SIRD&PR team along with the Working Group decided to put on the banners at the most prominent places in the village. One banner was pasted on a retaining wall while the other was pasted on a water tank. It was a remarkable scene.
POSSIBLE ACTION ITEMS
- It would be advisable if SIRD&PR team could follow up with the additional information that the Working Group collects regarding the Source of fund, cost and implementing agency.
- As most other villages, the community relies too much on the Government for their development. It would be of great help if we could try to inculcate a feeling of self-sufficiency and nationalism for their village; which would of course be a long term goal.